Date: 11/27/18 1:58 pm
Subject: Re: Northern Saw-whet Owl record
Kent Fiala asked me to clarify "presumed". John simply said: "One was
just brought to the Museum …" He didn't say it was alive or was dead, but
that crows had chased it into a window. Thus, I am presuming that
since the bird was taken to the State Museum, instead of an animal
hospital, it was dead and not alive. The bird is (was) certainly a
Northern Saw-whet Owl, as John has corroborated it.

Guess I should have just said "a N. Saw-whet Owl was brought to the Museum"!

Harry LeGrand

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 4:36 PM Harry LeGrand <hlegrandjr...> wrote:

> John Gerwin told a few of us just now that a presumed dead N. Saw-whet Owl
> was brought in to the NC Museum of Natural Sciences, apparently this
> morning. According to the couple that brought it in, several crows had
> chased it into a window of a home on Merrington Circle in Raleigh; that's
> up near Baileywick Road Park in north Raleigh.
>
> So -- be aware of the possibility of this species in the Carolinas now, at
> least in northern NC. It wouldn't hurt to play some Saw-whet tapes at dusk
> or early evening when you are near or in some dense woods. And the next
> time you see or hear crows chasing something, it just might be …..
>
> Harry LeGrand
> Raleigh

Join us on Facebook!