Date: 11/27/18 7:34 am
From: Mary Dueren <mary.dueren...>
Subject: Re: St. Louis Audubon field trip, Saturday, November 17 - Trip Report
Good morning.
Ken Buchholz at the Audubon Center at Riverlands has reported that a nice
swiss army knife was found after this bird walk. Please contact Riverlands
at 636-899-0090.
Mary

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018, 9:25 PM Mike Grant <mikecurlew...> wrote:

> On a beautiful day 18 birders explored Riverlands looking for winter
> birds. We were not disappointed with a Long-tailed Duck that had been
> reported the day before being right in front of us in Teal Pond. It really
> couldn’t have been closer or in better light. Teal Pond also held Hooded
> Mergansers, Gadwall, Canada Geese, a couple of Snow Geese and quite a few
> Ring-billed Gulls.
>

> We drove to the spillway to work our way west with the sun behind us.
>

> Ellis Bay had lots of Ring-billed Gulls on the spillway end. Closer to
> Heron Pond (which was full of vegetation) is where the ducks, geese, swans,
> eagles and shorebirds were.
>

> We had all three mergansers, a Ruddy Duck, a few Northern Shovelers,
> Lesser Scaup, Northern Pintails, Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye, fair numbers
> of Canvasbacks and scads of Mallards. The only shorebirds found here were
> a half-dozen Dunlin and a couple of Killdeer. In the bright sunshine we
> were able to see the yellow spot on some of the Tundra Swans.
>

> The American Black Ducks were seen in Ellis Bay from the trail in front of
> the Center. That is also where we had the Savannah Sparrows. The Horned
> Grebes were along the riprap on the road from the gas station to the Ellis
> Island trail parking lot.
>

> eBird checklist at: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49997260
>

> Thank you to Dick Palmer for helping with bird finding and ID. And also
> to Bill Rowe who was working with a couple of young birders and joining us
> at critical times. He found a few more shorebirds in a lagoon seen from
> the levee that goes out from the turn down to the dam.
>

> It seems that I do not have the eBird IDs of the people that asked me to
> share the checklist with them so please send it to me.
>

> The next SLAS field trip will be at Watershed Nature Center, northwest of
> Edwardsville, IL, on Dec 8.
>

> Mike Grant
>
> Chesterfield, MO
>
> <mikecurlew...>

ABA Birding Code of Ethics
http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html
ASM Spring Meeting: May 3-5, 2019 at Bunker Hill Retreat near Mountain View, MO