Date: 11/27/18 4:25 am
Subject: Re: Possible Barrow's Write Up on my blog for Fort Fisher, NC
You are probably right about that, but I find that being my own advocate has worked for me in the past. I was definitely getting frustrated that folks were not addressing the field marks that Sibley and the Canadian website have laid out which do show the differences in the the birds. Instead everyone gets stuck on the forehead and the bill size which is clearly cited as not definitive ID marks in the article. It just seems strange that so many of the field marks in the article that point to Barrows seem to be present in the FF bird so to completely dismiss it as a Common Goldeneye is mind boggling to me. I think I am fairly clear in my write up that I know there is problems with the bird, and I certainly don’t expect a ringing endorsement.

Anyway I am good with whatever despite my attempts to sway my blog readers. Please note I never reported the bird in eBird as anything other than Common Goldeneye.

I should have learned from the past that posting in a list serve always humbles me and makes me feel a bit dumb afterwards so I will fade back into obscurity and let the big guns duke it out.

I will not be submitting a rare bird report and will let some more objective birders do it. =)

Jamie Adams
Wilmington, NC

> On Nov 26, 2018, at 10:48 PM, Christopher Hill <Chill...> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 26, 2018, at 8:54 PM, Jamie Adams <carolinabirds...> <mailto:<carolinabirds...>> wrote:
>>
>> I too have seen plenty of Barrow’s and I don’t see a problem here. There are pictures of male Barrow’s online sitting next to a female that looks a lot like the FF bird. You can find whatever you want on Google images and probably half of the IDs are botched on that anyway.
>>
>> Anyway, I will let the bird police decide.
>>
>> Jamie Adams
>> Wilmington, NC
>>

> I, like Harry, do not see a Barrow’s Goldeneye in Jamie’s photos. It looks fine for Common to me, though hell, I rarely see either goldeneye any more (but I lived and birded in Seattle for 5 years, so Barrow’s used to be a neighborhood bird).
>
> Jamie, I think you are being disingenuous. I mean, go ahead, argue for what you feel is right, but I don’t think you are playing fair. You have already submitted the photos to the Advanced ID facebook group and I lost count, but I think it was 12 commenters there, with lots of experience, said they thought it was a Common (and they made largely the same points Harry did about head and bill shape, among other points) and only one person (you) was persistently arguing that it wasn’t. So that is some bird police right there, and they decided.
>
> And as for checking Google Images - there probably isn’t a better way to get a good sample of birds to evaluate head color on, except to check field guides, which Harry also did, he said. I don’t get why you’re being so dismissive of that except that you have convinced yourself and are aren’t really listening to other people’s arguments. I see the color difference you point out, but to me it doesn’t say “Barrow’s” it says “this one is colored slightly differently.” That could happen for lots of reasons.
>
> I mean, head shape is hard to measure so we all have to rely on our “judgement” or “impression” or whatever, but when 14 people in good faith say “we just don’t see what you’re seeing…”
>
> As it says in the internet meme, “change my mind” :-) And yes, I did skim through your blog post on it and evaluated the photos there.
>
> Chris Hill
> Conway, SC

Join us on Facebook!