Date: 11/26/18 5:55 pm
Subject: Re: Possible Barrow's Write Up on my blog for Fort Fisher, NC
With all due respect, then I am not understanding what Sibley says when he says “Adult female Barrow’s has a darker, richer, more saturated brown head color”. When I play with my “saturation” on my photo apps, it makes it redder or warmer. So it seems Sibley and you are on different wavelengths or my understanding of saturation is wrong and my MacBook may be broken.

Also, I am not seeing any pictures of Common x Redhead? Is that a hybrid that even occurs? If it does I would think it would be more rare than a Barrow’s. I don’t see any Redhead in the Ft. Fisher bird. You have not commented on the quote from Sibley that at least on the east coast yellow billed COGOs are probably more rare than female Barrow’s.

I too have seen plenty of Barrow’s and I don’t see a problem here. There are pictures of male Barrow’s online sitting next to a female that looks a lot like the FF bird. You can find whatever you want on Google images and probably half of the IDs are botched on that anyway.

Anyway, I will let the bird police decide.

Jamie Adams
Wilmington, NC

> On Nov 26, 2018, at 8:26 PM, Harry LeGrand <hlegrandjr...> wrote:
>
> I have seen some female and male Barrow's out West and in Alaska. Also, I just finished looking at lots of photos of females of both species on Google images, before I write this.
>
> The mystery bird looks like either a Common, or much less likely a hybrid Common x Barrow's or Common x Redhead, etc. The bill size and shape still looks like a Common to me -- quite long and not at all stubby looking. The head shape of the aquarium bird certainly leans MUCH more toward Common than to Barrow's as well, and certainly I do not see anything like a near-vertical forehead on the aquarium bird, a good mark for a Barrow's of both sexes. The head looks fairly rounded to somewhat peaked at the top of the crown, as can be seen on a number of Jamie's photos -- a mark of Common; Barrow's is flat crowned or with a peak well forward, even in front of the eye. (See photo following this text: "Another birder that was there (George S) was nice enough to let me use this next photo which is a back of the camera shot from his camera." -- looks like a classic Common head shape to me, on the LEFT/mystery bird. In fact, from the angles in that photo, it almost looks like the RIGHT bird, with the bicolored bill, looks more like a Barrow's by bill and head shape than the LEFT bird, with the yellow bill that is the mystery bird!) Thus, you can see how different angles of the photos gives different head shapes, so you need heads that are perpendicular to the photographer, as is the LEFT bird.) The head color on female Barrow's is not supposed to be a warmer more rufous brown, as is being claimed. If anything, Barrow's is a colder and darker brown, based on photos and text on Google; Common leans to a slightly paler brown and may at time look a bit more rufous.
>
> I don't have experience with the wing feather coloration, so cannot say about that. But, the long bill length, rather sloping forehead, rounded crown with a slight peak in the center of the crown, all say Common Goldeneye to me.
>
> Harry LeGrand
> Raleigh
>
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 7:25 PM Jamie Adams <carolinabirds...> <mailto:<carolinabirds...>> wrote:
> Hello folks, I have written up a detailed breakdown of why I still think this is a Barrow’s despite some people saying it is a Common.

> [...]

Join us on Facebook!