Date: 11/26/18 5:27 pm
Subject: Re: Possible Barrow's Write Up on my blog for Fort Fisher, NC
I have seen some female and male Barrow's out West and in Alaska. Also, I
just finished looking at lots of photos of females of both species on
Google images, before I write this.

The mystery bird looks like either a Common, or much less likely a hybrid
Common x Barrow's or Common x Redhead, etc. The bill size and shape still
looks like a Common to me -- quite long and not at all stubby looking. The
head shape of the aquarium bird certainly leans MUCH more toward Common
than to Barrow's as well, and certainly I do not see anything like a
near-vertical forehead on the aquarium bird, a good mark for a Barrow's of
both sexes. The head looks fairly rounded to somewhat peaked at the top of
the crown, as can be seen on a number of Jamie's photos -- a mark of
Common; Barrow's is flat crowned or with a peak well forward, even in front
of the eye. (See photo following this text: "Another birder that was
there (George S) was nice enough to let me use this next photo which is a
back of the camera shot from his camera." -- looks like a classic Common
head shape to me, on the LEFT/mystery bird. In fact, from the angles in
that photo, it almost looks like the RIGHT bird, with the bicolored bill,
looks more like a Barrow's by bill and head shape than the LEFT bird, with
the yellow bill that is the mystery bird!) Thus, you can see how
different angles of the photos gives different head shapes, so you need
heads that are perpendicular to the photographer, as is the LEFT bird.)
The head color on female Barrow's is not supposed to be a warmer more
rufous brown, as is being claimed. If anything, Barrow's is a colder and
darker brown, based on photos and text on Google; Common leans to a
slightly paler brown and may at time look a bit more rufous.

I don't have experience with the wing feather coloration, so cannot say
about that. But, the long bill length, rather sloping forehead, rounded
crown with a slight peak in the center of the crown, all say Common
Goldeneye to me.

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 7:25 PM Jamie Adams <carolinabirds...> wrote:

> Hello folks, I have written up a detailed breakdown of why I still think
> this is a Barrow’s despite some people saying it is a Common.
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__photographicbirdlistomania.blogspot.com&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=B1YKIL-tJTTyMh9WnH2RtxpVBo0B6N8E5B7WFxdrVS8&s=jDR0Rah3_rU6tmpEfYL69wGm1MC3sOg52XwcnuG4p1w&e=
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__photographicbirdlistomania.blogspot.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=xILeE6xXpOHEw7_FW_9lUV7-iAxXvRv_LpH2gBGEhJo&s=TSueWG_BdRoVs7rsckc2SZUOApTQxKfAHQcLP0OsgkA&e=>
>
> FYI, the bird continues on the pond today.
>
> Jamie Adams
> Wilmington, NC

Join us on Facebook!