Date: 11/26/18 7:27 am
From: Chuck Otte <cotte...>
Subject: Evening Grosbeaks and other winter irruptive species
Good morning KSBIRDers!

I hope everyone survived the Sunday snow storm safely. I'm glad I had no
place I needed to go.

Early last week we were having a discussion about Evening Grosbeaks and
where their origin was when they irrupted into Kansas. I posed the
question to Mark Robbins, who is likely as knowledgeable about these
things as anyone. For those who don't know Mark he is the ornitholgical
collections manager for University of Kansas Biodiversity Institute. Here
is what he told me:

"It looks like Evening (very likely Pine) Grosbeaks & Red-breasted
Nuthatches are coming from Canada and not the Rockies, whereas the
majority (Type 2) of Red Crossbills are coming out of the Rockies."

He provided further evidence of declining numbers of Evening Grosbeaks in
Missouri and Kansas corresponding with declining numbers in the eastern US
which we know are coming down from Canada so that's a good enough answer
for me.

Mark has also written a great book: "The Status and Distribution of Birds
in Missouri" which is available as a free PDF download at:

https://kuscholarworks.ku.edu/handle/1808/26287

Worth the time to download and have handy on your computer.

Chuck

-----
Chuck Otte <cotte...>
County Extension Agent, Ag & Natural Resources
Geary County Extension Office, PO BOX 28 785-238-4161
Junction City, Kansas 66441-0028 FAX 785-238-7166
http://www.geary.ksu.edu/

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to
mailto:<ksbird-l-request...>