Date: 11/25/18 10:03 pm
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Interestingly pale bunting
This is the second time in the past year or so that someone has assigned sightings to me that I was not involved in. I would love to see a Snow Bunting in Washington, as it would be a state bird for me. I just double-checked my Washington state list on eBird, as I had no recollection of seeing this species in that state. Lo and behold, I HAVEN'T. I have only seen one bird that I believed to be a McKay's Bunting and that was Oregon's first state record at the South Jetty of the Columbia River in 1980 (accepted by the OBRC).

I just looked up Tom Crabtree's eBird stats for Washington. He has reported a grand total of 119 from Washington and has a whopping 8 species on his Grays Harbor County list (where Ocean Shores is). I strongly suspect that Snow Bunting is not one of them. Tom can either confirm or refute that he has seen Snow Bunting anywhere in Washington.

I also just pulled up all the Ocean Shores area reports of McKay's Bunting. Neither my name, or Tom's appears on any of them. It isn't that hard to look this stuff up. Please, unless you are citing a specific record/report, do not name me as having seen/reported a species that I haven't seen in places that I haven't seen them, especially when it involves the claim of a rare bird that may or may not be fully supported by good documentation. Unless I have a photo, or corroboration from other observers, I generally don't report extremely rare birds to eBird or records committees.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR