Date: 11/25/18 9:33 pm
From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Bean Goose pics
Hi all,

I just spent some time researching this issue, and it's indeed a bit
complicated. It appears that the two western subspecies of the respective
species (Tundra and Taiga) are pretty clear-cut: the classic Tundra (
*rossicus*) is a relatively small, rather short- and thick-necked bird with
a short and thick, triangular bill. The western Taiga subspecies *fabalis *is
much larger, with a long, thin, almost swan-like neck and a much longer and
thinner bill that usually has orange on much of its length, while *rossicus
*has a small orange or pinkish patch near the tip of the bill (in fact, I
never had much trouble assigning a bean goose to one of the two species
back in Germany, where both of the western subspecies overwinter).

The two eastern subspecies (Tundra *serrirostris *and Taiga *middendorffii*),
which are by far more likely to make it to the western US, are a different
story. They tend to be a little more similar to each other - *serrirostris *is
bigger than *rossicus *and on average has a slightly larger bill, making it
a bit harder to tell it apart from a *middendorffii *Taiga Bean-Goose.
Also, *middendorffii *appears to regularly show a bill pattern that has a
lot less orange, much more similar to a Tundra Bean-Goose.

A much-discussed bird with characters intermediate between the two eastern
subspecies showed up at Salton Sea, California, in Nov 2010. I'm adding the
link to this very interesting and informative discussion:

https://birdingfrontiers.wordpress.com/2010/11/20/california-bean-goose/

Comparing photos of the Finley goose (Doug Robinson posted some nice
close-up head shots on eBird) to many online photos, I believe that our
bird still looks good for an eastern Tundra-type. It doesn't look massively
larger compared to the Cacklers around it - I believe a Taiga Bean-Goose
would stand out even more. Its head looks pretty rounded in most photos,
with a rather steep forehead, and the bill, albeit somewhat on the longish
side, still looks shorter than I would expect in a Taiga goose (which
usually shows a more sloped, swan-like profile). Also, the bill seems to
have a rather thick base, and the lower mandible shows a slight droop at
the center, typical for Tundra Goose (Taiga has a much straighter lower
mandible). The neck of the Finley bird looks pretty short and thick to me,
another thing that points toward Tundra. Compared to the ambiguous
California bird, the Finley goose looks a lot shorter- and thicker-billed,
placing it even more squarely in the Tundra range. In my opinion, the
Finley bird doesn't look much different structurally from Oregon's first
Tundra Bean-Goose at the Nestucca NWR a few years ago.

I would love to hear what other anseriphiles out there think! I'd be more
than happy to turn this into Oregon's first Taiga Bean-Goose, but so far, I
don't see enough evidence.

Fantastic bird either way!

Hendrik

--