Date: 11/25/18 9:29 pm
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Bean Goose pics
I'm looking at a bunch of my photos of the Nestucca Bean-Goose and comparing them to photos taken today and I'm not seeing any obvious differences in bill length, head shape, or grin patch size. If anything, my photos seem to show the Nestucca bird as having a wider gap in the grin patch. Neck length proportions seem to be about the same as well. Reeber's illustrations of "Taiga" types show a little more of a pinched tip to the bill that what is illustrated for the "Tundra" types. The Nestucca bird seems a bit paler overall, but that may be due to lighting conditions. My photos from Nestucca were taken on a sunny day and it was overcast at Finley this afternoon.

I had not realized that some taxonomies still treat these birds as a single species. Smart folks? As noted by Bob Archer, the Finnish birders who originally found this bird were calling it a "Tundra" Bean-Goose.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR