Date: 11/25/18 8:09 pm
From: Bob Archer <rabican1...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Bean Goose pics
Issue is there are probably two subspecies that are involved in both the
Tundra and Taiga groups. the Thick-billed and Tundra Bean Goose are in one
group and the Taiga and Middendorf's are in the other group (Reeber's
book). This is similar to arguing about Lesser Canada Goose and Taverner's
Cackling Goose. All I can say is the very knowledgeable birder from
Finland saw this goose and I THINK he was leaning to Tundra. But I should
not put words into others mouths.

Bob Archer

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 7:55 PM Jamie Simmons <sapsuckers...> wrote:

> I'll stick my neck out...
> The orange on the bill as shown in my pics (and better in Doug's) seems to
> have a faint sliver that creeps up the bill, maybe as high as half way up
> the nostril.
> Also, bill size appears to be quite variable in Taiga per the Macaulay
> Library.
>
> I'm leaning toward Taiga, based mainly on the orange on the bill.
> Surely there is more that I haven't looked at, and I expect to hear more
> informed opinions.
>
> Jamie Simmons
> Corvallis
>
> On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 7:26 PM W. Douglas Robinson <
> <w.douglas.robinson...> wrote:
>
>> Here are some pics from today of the Bean Goose.
>>
>> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50223778
>>
>> Doug

Join us on Facebook!