Date: 11/25/18 7:38 pm
From: Philip Kline <pgeorgekline...>
Subject: [obol] Columbia County sightings
There are some pretty good birds on the Columbia River river right now (for
Columbia County) and it seems to change constantly.

I saw two Pacific Loons from Pixie Park in Columbia City today. There has
been one there for the last three weeks. Also a Common Loon and several
Horned Grebes. 1-2 Red-necked Grebes have been here recently too.

At Trestle Beach, which can be accessed from Pacific Street just north of
Columbia City, there were single White-winged and Surf Scoters, plus a
Red-necked Grebe in with a raft of about 1000 scaup. Plenty of Goldeneyes
here too. No Barrow's today, but there were at least a couple last week.
Also a good spot for Horned Grebes with at least a dozen. Viewing isn't
the best here unfortunately as the ducks are concentrated in an area north
of a creek that is usually impassable. A large congregation of gulls has
recently started gathering here too, mostly on the far shore across the
river. 500 or so Mew Gulls were floating on the river today with many
larger gulls mixed in and loafing on the far shore.

I took a trip into the hills in the Gunners Lakes and Long Mountain area
south of Scappoose-Vernonia Highway on Saturday. I ran into several flocks
of Red Crossbills that all sounded like Type 3 to me. A few good-sized
flocks of siskins too. Plus three Ruffed Grouse on the summit of Long
Mountain (which also happens to be the lowest elevation County high point
in Oregon at a whopping 2265').

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50184626

Good birding,

Philip Kline