Date: 11/25/18 11:25 am
From: Ron <waxwing...>
Subject: Re: Possible Barrow's Goldeneye at Fort Fisher, NC
Barrow’s has a steeper forehead, and stubbier bill. In Alaska, I use those instead of color. While color could vary, I guess, I’m not sure skull shape would, or bill size. Neither forehead looks “steep” and the bills look relatively close in size.

Ron Clark
Kings Mtn. NC

Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2018 12:34 PM
To: <carolinabirds...>
Subject: Possible Barrow's Goldeneye at Fort Fisher, NC

Hello Folks,

Possible Barrow’s swimming with a Common Goldeneye at Fort Fisher, NC in the Aquarium Pond off the Basin Trail.

Pictures at below ebird link. Of note was the all yellow/orange bill and a warmer chestnut brown color which doesn’t come off nicely in the pictures but myself and two others both noted in the field.

Sibley’s has a paper on this ID which is tough on a female Goldeneye. Apparently bill size overlaps and Common can have a yellow variant although in November it would be pretty rare. Bill shape needs to be closely considered.

I think Derb is on his way down to check.

There was a guy with a 600mm lens taking great shots, I will see if I can get him to send some pics.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ebird.org_view_checklist_S50206379&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=JPXDZ9X3mMTZHf6l1oUutPudM6w-pUOhjF-UccjanEM&s=TqkrePHeAWRvHpSQJVyRBVtKt4RTgt7Pxtr4rnDyu9o&e=

Jamie Adams
Wilmington, NC

Join us on Facebook!