Date: 11/25/18 6:35 am
From: Josh <opihi...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] eBird: Tufted Duck in Peabody
Hi MassBirders,

Was too busy to relay this earlier, but Friday’s eBird RBA included a Tufted Duck photographed by Zoltan Poleretzky; I skimmed over it at first because I figured it was just the long-staying Nantucket bird again, but then noticed that it was reported from Essex County! Location is in Peabody, described as “Pond behind Christian Books Distributors"

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50142638 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50142638>

Another report from Rick Heil, posted the next day (but from an earlier observation), puts the location in the hotspot Higgins’ Marsh:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50036266 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50036266>

Curious that the bird is the only Aythya present, seems like they usually show up amid flocks of Scaup or Ring-necked Duck…

Reports of the Western Grebe were still coming in from Friday, mostly around the Granite Pier or Cathedral Ledge; nothing yet from Saturday but that might just be the time lag of waiting for eBird’s daily RBA…

Good birding,

JSR

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA

Webmaster, Hampshire Bird Club
https://hampshirebirdclub.org/

Northeast Chapter, Dragonfly Society of the Americas
https://bryanpfeiffer.com/nedsa2018/

http://bugguide.net/user/view/2399
https://www.facebook.com/opihi

Join us on Facebook!