Date: 11/24/18 7:49 pm
Subject: Re: Melanistic Great Blue Heron, Florence, SC
I do wonder if this one, the one I saw in Conway last year, and the one at Okatie SC in 2015 (link below) are all the same bird. When I searched the web for melanistic Great Blues, they were wildly variable, but mine was the spitting image of the one photographed at Okatie, and Shawn’s looks similar as well.

Okatie SC Bird: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.carolinabirdclub.org_gallery_Richards_gbhe.html&d=DwIGaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=waCsULvUO9x7sW1tRHH8ds13oHIpKoEpAX1JQokgPwM&s=V1AgPkxASOvxlk0jvOahqaDH9YjXdAzC16oArI4OETg&e=

Chris Hill
Conway, SC

On Nov 24, 2018, at 7:19 PM, Shawn R. Smolen-Morton <SSmolenMorton...><mailto:<SSmolenMorton...>> wrote:

Good evening, folks.
Among 60+ Great Egrets and 6 Great Blues, a single melanistic Great Blue foraged along the banks of Forest Lake (eastern end, southern shore) between 2:30 and 3PM. Photos posted to Carolina Birds and eBird. Plumage and morphology rule out African and Asian herons and egrets with dark plumage, including Black, Slaty, Dimorphic, and Western Reef. The bird appeared healthy and was quite successful at catching fish.
Good birding,
Shawn Smolen-Morton
Florence, South Carolina

Join us on Facebook!