Date: 11/24/18 7:39 pm
From: Glenn d'Entremont <gdentremont1...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] SSBC/BBC trip 11/24/18
I led a combined South Shore and Brookline Bird Club trip as a leader's choice, south of Boston.

I chose Fairhaven/south eastern coast due to the most recent reports of interesting stuff.

Unfortunately the recent cold weather altered the bird's plans and several places were iced and others the birds seemed to have departed.

The thickets were either dead or alive; nothing or lots as thickets go.

Highlights of our 62 species:

SNOW GOOSE 1 ad in Fairhaven seen flying over bike trail and then off of Little Bay

Gadwall 100 at Veranda Street, Fairhaven (VS)

Green-winged Teal 2 "downtown" Fall River; behind police station

Northern Shoveler 4 ditto.

EURASIAN WIGEON 2 (?) 1 male for sure and probably a female (VS), thanks to an adult Bald Eagle which flushed a lot of ducks into the end of the creek. Up to that point we did not see them. The female was a pale gray all over with fewer markings than other females, hung in with the male most of the time, it flapped one and showed a gray underside to entire wing and no white in the upper surface to wing. Would like someone to get image(s) for further study.

American Wigeon 56 (VS)

Ruddy Duck 9 Lake Wattupa, south end

Common Merganser 226 (!!) 220 in one flock from Wilson Street, Fall River; the largest flock I have seen of this species

Red-shouldered Hawk 1 imm Egypt Lane (EL), Fairhaven

Bald Eagle 3 ad 1 at the aforementioned VS and 2 from Wilson Street, Fall River; both caught fish rather easily from Lake Wattupa

Belted Kingfisher 1 VS

COMMON RAVEN 2 VS these were harassed by crows

Winter Wren 1

Carolina Wren 25 they are back; 3 (EL), 2 Lake Wattupa, 1 VS, the rest along bike trail

Gray Catbird 2

Hermit Thrush 1

BROWN THRASHER 1 (VS)

warbler, sp 1 likely Orange-crowned or perhaps Nashville

Yellow-rumped Warbler 1 only 1

Eastern Towhee 1 (VS)

Field Sparrow 2

FOX SPARROW 9 couldn't get to double digits. The best count I have had in years.

Glenn

Glenn d'Entremont: <gdentremont1...> Stoughton, MA

Join us on Facebook!