Date: 11/24/18 1:31 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Request: post yes/no in YB loon search
Heavy rain always fills the rivers with gunk. A lot of estuary birds move onto the ocean or even lakes when that happens. Many come back after a day or so if the water clears. The Nehalem is small so should clear fairly quickly.

Check Lake Lytle.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

> On Nov 24, 2018, at 1:24 PM, Harry Fuller <atowhee...> wrote:
>
> ten of us of struck out yesterday
>
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 10:27 AM Bob Archer <rabican1...> <mailto:<rabican1...>> wrote:
> Made it down to opposite Kelly Marina , no sign yet. See folks looking on 101 side.
>
> On Nov 24, 2018, at 7:40 AM, Beverly Hallberg <mapsout...> <mailto:<mapsout...>> wrote:
>
>> I think James Billstine's hints on locations to scope from are good: Hwy. 101 pullouts and the Park boat launch are excellent in addition to Kelly's. There are a lot of boats on the bay now fishing and crabbing I presume and Kelly's was hopping with business yesterday. The loon seems to favor the waters near and across from Kelly's marina with a possibility on a quiet day like today that he'll ride up river a bit towards the park boat launch with the incoming tide and then go back again when the tide recedes. I don't think he's gone deep into the bay so far - and there is active duck hunting going on from Bayside Gardens and Tohl Rd. pushing all the waterfowl far from shore (except a few hardy Bufflehead) and into the reedy areas around Nehalem Point. The loon is big, he's dark and when at the surface quite noticable. I think I caught him sleeping yesterday around 11:30 just south of Kelly's on the far shore after someone else had seen him across from Kelly's earlier in the morning. Hard to id if he doesn't lift up his head - maybe he was recovering from our terrific thunder, lightning, wind and rain yesterday. Today is a good day for weather and wind. Good luck. And be sure to watch for the Black Turnstones on the rocks and logs at Kelly's. I saw 22 there yesterday.
>>
>> Beverly
>>

>> On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 7:08 AM Tom McNamara <tmcmac67...> <mailto:<tmcmac67...>> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Unless I miss my guess, there may be a few birders packing postprandial Thanksgiving pounds around Nehalem Bay today. If possible, can you please post to OBOL ASAP if you find the bird and Specific location and time. Thanks! good luck everyone. Tom
>

> --
> Harry Fuller
> author of: San Francisco's Natural History: Sand Dunes to Streetcars:
> https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2017/04/20/sfnh/ <https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2017/04/20/sfnh/>
> author of Great Gray Owls of CA-OR-WA: https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/the-great-gray-owl-book/ <https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/the-great-gray-owl-book/>
> author of Freeway Birding: freewaybirding.com <http://freewaybirding.com/>
> birding website: http://www.towhee.net <http://www.towhee.net/>