Date: 11/24/18 7:41 am
From: Beverly Hallberg <mapsout...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Request: post yes/no in YB loon search
I think James Billstine's hints on locations to scope from are good: Hwy.
101 pullouts and the Park boat launch are excellent in addition to
Kelly's. There are a lot of boats on the bay now fishing and crabbing I
presume and Kelly's was hopping with business yesterday. The loon seems to
favor the waters near and across from Kelly's marina with a possibility on
a quiet day like today that he'll ride up river a bit towards the park boat
launch with the incoming tide and then go back again when the tide
recedes. I don't think he's gone deep into the bay so far - and there is
active duck hunting going on from Bayside Gardens and Tohl Rd. pushing all
the waterfowl far from shore (except a few hardy Bufflehead) and into the
reedy areas around Nehalem Point. The loon is big, he's dark and when at
the surface quite noticable. I think I caught him sleeping yesterday around
11:30 just south of Kelly's on the far shore after someone else had seen
him across from Kelly's earlier in the morning. Hard to id if he doesn't
lift up his head - maybe he was recovering from our terrific thunder,
lightning, wind and rain yesterday. Today is a good day for weather and
wind. Good luck. And be sure to watch for the Black Turnstones on the
rocks and logs at Kelly's. I saw 22 there yesterday.

Beverly

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 7:08 AM Tom McNamara <tmcmac67...> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Unless I miss my guess, there may be a few birders packing postprandial
> Thanksgiving pounds around Nehalem Bay today. If possible, can you please
> post to OBOL ASAP if you find the bird and Specific location and time.
> Thanks! good luck everyone. Tom

Join us on Facebook!