Date: 11/23/18 9:12 pm
From: Craig Miller <gismiller...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Harlan or not?
Nagi and all,

I agree with Hendrik that this is most likely a dark morph Rough-legged
Hawk. A black wrist mark, typical on Rough-legged Hawk, is just visible on
the underwing in flight in the 4th photo. The lack of any white speckling
on the back tends to rule against Red-tailed Hawk subspecies. In the last
two photos, a very dark band along the tip of the tail contrasts with a
slightly lighter tail proximally, ruling out dark morph Ferruginous Hawk,
and also not so good for Harlan's Hawk. Dark morph hawks can truly be a
challenge!

Cheers,

Craig Miller
Bend, Oregon

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 8:26 PM Nagi Aboulenein <nagi.aboulenein...>
wrote:

> Hi All -
>
> While sifting through the many dozens of Red-tailed Hawks that we saw
> today at Lower Klamath NWR, one stood out as a possible Harlan candidate.
> Some aspects seem to point to Harlan, while others cast some doubt on that
> proposition.
>
> Pro-Harlan aspects:
>
> - Solid dark brown, except for a little bit of white on/near head and
> around nose.
> - No rufous coloration anywhere
> - Tail feathers were solid dark brown and vent area was white or light
> buff
>
> Anti-Harlan aspects:
>
> - Lack of white tail - some references say Harlan’s can have dark
> tails, others insist on the white tail?
>
> Photos of dark-morph Harlan’s were hard to find online, so we were unable
> to compare our bird’s photos.
>
> Anyways, looking for comments/thoughts regarding this bird. A couple of
> photos attached below.
>
> Lastly - regardless of Harlan or not - what a beauty of a bird!
>
> Good birding,
>
> Nagi & Taghrid

Join us on Facebook!