Date: 11/23/18 8:55 pm
From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Harlan or not?
Hi Nagi and all,

To me, the bird appears to have feathered tarsi - something only found in
Rough-legged and Ferruginous Hawks. I believe your bird may be a dark-phase
Rough-leg. The underwing pattern seems ok for that, as is the pale spot on
the back of the head. Too bad the undertail doesn't show, but in the flight
shots, it looks to me as if there is a slightly darker terminal band - and
I believe dark-morph Rough-legs, at lest some of them, have all dark upper
tails.

Curious to hear some other opinions on this.

Great photos of a pretty bird, indeed!

Good birding

Hendrik

--