Date: 11/23/18 8:26 pm
From: Nagi Aboulenein <nagi.aboulenein...>
Subject: [obol] Harlan or not?
Hi All -

While sifting through the many dozens of Red-tailed Hawks that we saw today at Lower Klamath NWR, one stood out as a possible Harlan candidate. Some aspects seem to point to Harlan, while others cast some doubt on that proposition.

Pro-Harlan aspects:

• Solid dark brown, except for a little bit of white on/near head and around nose.
• No rufous coloration anywhere
• Tail feathers were solid dark brown and vent area was white or light buff

Anti-Harlan aspects:

• Lack of white tail - some references say Harlan’s can have dark tails, others insist on the white tail?

Photos of dark-morph Harlan’s were hard to find online, so we were unable to compare our bird’s photos.

Anyways, looking for comments/thoughts regarding this bird. A couple of photos attached below.

Lastly - regardless of Harlan or not - what a beauty of a bird!

Good birding,

Nagi & Taghrid

Join us on Facebook!