Date: 11/23/18 12:52 pm
From: robert beauchamp <torobbeau...>
Subject: [cobirds] Re: Fort Collins Black Friday Birding Frolic
We had a fabulous turnout for the first annual Fort Collins Black Friday
Birding Frolic, despite the windy conditions this morning. Twenty-eight
folks turned out, including a few elementary aged birders, a couple scouts
working on their badge, and others enthusiastic to be outdoors today. We
began on Rigden Reservoir (Arapahoe Bend NA) where a flock of seagulls (the
bird, not the band) provided some good views while they fed on small fish
and crayfish on the east shoreline. Ring-billed, California, and Herring
Gull, sadly no Bonapartes. There were also a good number of Common
Goldeneye on the water. By the way, never call a gull a seagull around
serous birders, it really gets their goat. :) Another highlight,
particularly for the kiddos, was a Great-horned Owl that was flushed from
the riverbank.

Some of us then headed over and walked the Poudre River Trail between the
ELC and Prospect Ponds. We ran into another enthusiastic group of birders
looking for the Winter Wren (no luck), The Fox Sparrow (no luck), and the
Rusty Blackbird (no luck), but were treated to a close up view of a
Red-tailed Hawk snacking on what can only be described as a small furry
mammal (too big for a mouse, vole perhaps?). We also had a hybrid
Snow-Canada Goose in one of the ponds. 26 species total.

By the end of the morning, the remaining birders were salivating for
thanksgiving leftovers and a mid-afternoon nap.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Robert Beauchamp
Fort Collins