Date: 11/23/18 5:38 am
Subject: Raptor attacking "ball" of prey birds
Yesterday while driving on 64 in the four-lane section near Creswell, I
noticed a tight "ball" of blackbirds very high in the sky. They were being
attacked by a raptor, probably an accipiter or a merlin. The blackbirds
were maintaining their protective "ball" formation as the raptor streaked
toward the edge of the flock and swerved away, repeatedly. This reminded me
of balls of baitfish being attacked by tuna. I should have stopped and
watched, to see if the predator was ever successful, but I didn't.

Jeff Lewis
Manteo, NC

Join us on Facebook!