Date: 11/22/18 7:49 pm
From: caroline haines <chaines49...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Oiled loon
I wondered about that Newfoundland spill. We have not been able to rescue the bird in question. I couldn't locate it today, when someone from Tufts was going to attempt a rescue, but will be keeping a lookout.
Caroline

Sent from my iPhone-please excuse brevity, typos, or insults.

> On Nov 22, 2018, at 12:11 PM, Melissa Aldrich <melcaldrich...> wrote:
>
> Yes, There is a wildlife rehabilitator in the Gloucester area. Please use Mass Fish and Wildlife's website with links here: https://www.mass.gov/service-details/find-a-wildlife-rehabilitator
>
> Melissa Aldrich
>
> 413-219-2418
>
>> On Thu, Nov 22, 2018, 11:43 AM Neil Hayward <opororniswarbler...> wrote:
>> I wonder if Caroline's Common Loon was a victim of the Newfoundland oil spill. Last Friday (November 16) the SeaRose Tanker dumped a quarter million tons of oil into the Atlantic. Conditions were apparently so bad that the oil dispersed quickly and any kind of clean up was impossible. We should be on the look out for oiled birds and ensure they're reported. That same storm system also caused a Gray Heron that had recently arrived in Newfoundland to disappear. So I guess we should be on the lookout for herons too!
>>
>> More details on the spill here:
>> https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/20/newfoundland-oil-spill-latest-damage-wildlife
>>
>> Neil Hayward
>> Cambridge, MA
>>
>>> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 9:32 PM caroline haines <chaines49...> wrote:
>>> I just spotted a common loon with a large oily patch on its breast in Gloucester harbor. It's head and neck were darker than normal, possibly oiled as well from the vigorous preening it was attempting on the oily patch. Very sad to see this bird struggling. Any loon rescuers out there?
>>> Caroline Haines
>>> Gloucester
>>> <Songbirder...>
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone-please excuse brevity, typos, or insults.

Join us on Facebook!