Date: 11/22/18 9:11 am
From: William Pelletier via Groups.Io <wrpelletier=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Pacheco Pond Bald Eagles
Happy Turkey Day Birders!
Great report from Janet. It’s an exciting time as we witness the recovery of our Bald Eagle population in Santa Clara County. It all started with the Condor recovery project, who released about 80 Bald Eagles in and around Big Sur as a pilot run for releasing the Condors. Populations have spiraled out from there every year. I give thanks for their efforts!
 We too drove by Pacheco Pass Pond (8am) and saw three BAEA in the dead tree. How long were they perched there?!? As we got up closer to the reservoir we saw a fourth Bald Eagle fly over hwy 152. A few miles later we pulled into the rest area and viewing spot, but it was closed. As we turned around to get back on the highway we saw two Greater Roadrunners along the entrance road. An auspicious start to our weekend in Palm Springs!
We would typically stop at Kern NWR on the way through, but decided to try Pixley NWR instead and it paid off. It’s about 30 min NE of Kern. We found hundreds of Sandhill Crane, White Faced Ibis and a nice assortment of other birds in a quiet setting ... we were the only ones there. If you’ve never been, check it out!
Let the holidays begin!Bill & Kitty

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, November 21, 2018, 8:32 PM, Janet Hanson <janethanson...> wrote:

This morning around 10:30 AM, I saw 3 BALD EAGLES on the snag in the Pacheco Pass pond, just east of Bell’s Station on 152.  I frequently drive over the pass, and often see 1 or 2 (or none) perched there. This is the first time I’ve seen 3.
Good birding!
Janet Hanson