Date: 11/22/18 8:46 am
From: Neil Hayward <opororniswarbler...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Oiled loon
I wonder if Caroline's Common Loon was a victim of the Newfoundland oil
spill. Last Friday (November 16) the SeaRose Tanker dumped a quarter
million tons of oil into the Atlantic. Conditions were apparently so bad
that the oil dispersed quickly and any kind of clean up was impossible. We
should be on the look out for oiled birds and ensure they're reported. That
same storm system also caused a Gray Heron that had recently arrived in
Newfoundland to disappear. So I guess we should be on the lookout for
herons too!

More details on the spill here:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/20/newfoundland-oil-spill-latest-damage-wildlife

Neil Hayward
Cambridge, MA

On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 9:32 PM caroline haines <chaines49...>
wrote:

> I just spotted a common loon with a large oily patch on its breast in
> Gloucester harbor. It's head and neck were darker than normal, possibly
> oiled as well from the vigorous preening it was attempting on the oily
> patch. Very sad to see this bird struggling. Any loon rescuers out there?
> Caroline Haines
> Gloucester
> <Songbirder...>
>
> Sent from my iPhone-please excuse brevity, typos, or insults.

Join us on Facebook!