Date: 11/21/18 6:42 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Lincoln coast birds - Magnolia Warbler, three Palm Warblers, and possible Thick-billed Murre
Nice day Craig! I just wanted to say that November has always been peak
migration season for Palms on the south coast. I know birds get reported
in October and rarely in Sept.- but Nov is when the biggest numbers are
reported, at least on the south coast. These numbers normally drop off
quite a bit by CBC time. Those birds still around in early December are
good candidates for overwintering birds (ones to find on CBCs).

Happy Thanksgiving all,
Tim R
Coos Bay

PS: We had a recently deceased Mag Warbler one year on the Coos count
brought in by a cat covering the Eastside sector, hoping there are some
other fun warblers out there on this year's CBCs!

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 6:32 PM Craig Tumer <craig...> wrote:

> I had the opportunity to do a little birding on the Lincoln County coast
> this morning.
>
> I was able to find the Ona Beach MAGNOLIA WARBLER within five minutes of
> getting out of my car. It was in the birch trees between the parking lot
> and the creek with a large flock of chickadees, bushtits, and kinglets. The
> flock also contained at least two TOWNSEND'S WARBLER and one PALM WARBLER.
> Before I left, I also saw the RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER in the same birch
> trees.
>
> At the Hatfield Marine Science Center, I saw another PALM WARBLER and
> three male EURASIAN WIGEONS. The wigeons were in a flock that consisted of
> over 700 American Wigeons and pintails. It's likely that female Eurasian
> Wigeons were also in the flock, but most birds had their heas tucked under
> their wings so I didn't bother trying to search.
>
> Late in the day at Boiler Bay, a flo ck of approximately 600 PACIFIC LOONS
> was on the water to the northwest of the point. Among the COMMON MURRES and
> RHINO AUKLETS, I saw one murre that I believe was likely a THICK-BILLED
> MURRE. I saw it in direct comparison with Common Murres, and the bird in
> question had white limited to the throat and front part of the neck with no
> whie extending back on the neck or the back part of the face. It appeared
> darker than the other murres. I have experience seeing the two murres
> together at Gambell in June and on the coast of Massachusetts in winter;
> however, due to the distance that I observed this bird today and the rarity
> of TBMU in Oregon, I marked this bird as Common/Thick-billed Murre on my
> eBird checklist.
>
> I saw a third PALM WARBLER with a flock of 18 MYRTLE WARBLERS at the
> Salishan Nature Trail.
>
> Craig Tumer
> SW Portland
> POST: Send your post to <obol...> JOIN OR QUIT:
> http://www.freelists.org/list/obol OBOL archives:
> www.freelists.org/archive/obol Contact moderator:
> <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!