Date: 11/21/18 6:32 pm
From: Craig Tumer <craig...>
Subject: [obol] Lincoln coast birds - Magnolia Warbler, three Palm Warblers, and possible Thick-billed Murre
I had the opportunity to do a little birding on the Lincoln County coast
this morning.
I was able to find the Ona Beach MAGNOLIA WARBLER within five minutes
of getting out of my car. It was in the birch trees between the
parking lot and the creek with a large flock of chickadees, bushtits,
and kinglets. The flock also contained at least two TOWNSEND'S WARBLER
and one PALM WARBLER. Before I left, I also saw the RED-BREASTED
SAPSUCKER in the same birch trees.
At the Hatfield Marine Science Center, I saw another PALM WARBLER and
three male EURASIAN WIGEONS. The wigeons were in a flock that
consisted of over 700 American Wigeons and pintails. It's likely that
female Eurasian Wigeons were also in the flock, but most birds had
their heas tucked under their wings so I didn't bother trying to
search.
Late in the day at Boiler Bay, a flo ck of approximately 600 PACIFIC
LOONS was on the water to the northwest of the point. Among the COMMON
MURRES and RHINO AUKLETS, I saw one murre that I believe was likely a
THICK-BILLED MURRE. I saw it in direct comparison with Common Murres,
and the bird in question had white limited to the throat and front
part of the neck with no whie extending back on the neck or the back
part of the face. It appeared darker than the other murres. I have
experience seeing the two murres together at Gambell in June and on
the coast of Massachusetts in winter; however, due to the distance
that I observed this bird today and the rarity of TBMU in Oregon, I
marked this bird as Common/Thick-billed Murre on my eBird checklist.
I saw a third PALM WARBLER with a flock of 18 MYRTLE WARBLERS at the
Salishan Nature Trail.
Craig TumerSW Portland
POST: Send your post to <obol...> JOIN OR QUIT:
http://www.freelists.org/list/obol OBOL archives:
www.freelists.org/archive/obol Contact moderator:
<obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!