Date: 11/21/18 5:50 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Relocation (off topic)
I know at least a few of you are already aware of this.

My partner Carol Cole and I have both retired from our careers this year, and are relocating to Wilmington, NC, to be closer to Carol's family.  We have sold our house in South Beach. Carol flew out to Wilmington in mid October and is in the process of buying a house there.  I departed Newport on Nov. 2 on an extended birding/photography trip to end up in Wilmington.  The plan was to south to southern CA and then to SE Arizona, and then work east.  Currently I am in Hammond, LA, and picking up the pace, intending to reach Wilmington by Nov. 25.

I had intended to send periodic updates to OBOL, but have found my days very busy, often with 400-800photos to sort each night, and regular issues with eyestrain limiting my other computer time.

Highlights to date have included 5 breaches by humpback whales and good photos of Sea Otters from a Whale-watching boat out of Monterey, and lots of photos of Black-vented Shearwaters and Common Dolphins from an Island Packers boat out of Ventura.  I was birding in Thousand Oaks when the fires broke out so cut that off and headed east a day early, failing to find California Gnatcatchers.  Salton Sea South produced good photos of Gambel's Quail, Verdins, Neotropic Cormorants, Abert's Towhees, Phainopeplas, and Desert Cottontails.  SE Arizona produced some great birds but some disappointing misses - photographed 5 species of woodpeckers, 6 hummingbirds (unusual lingerers), Harris's and Zone-tailed hawks, 3 species of thrashers, a lingering Olive Warbler, Cactus Wren, Cardinals and Pyrrhuloxias.  An unafraid Coati was at Madera Canyon, and a mid-day Striped Skunk entertained at Portal.  I finally caught up to a Roadrunner near Deming NM, also Lark Buntings.  Kerrville TX and San Antonio areas had Egyptian Geese and Black-bellied Whistling Ducks, Caracaras, more neotropic Cormorants, Scissor-tailed Flycatchers.

From here east most of he birtds will be species I can see in NC, so am picking up the pace - more driving, less birding.  I will greatly miss Oregon birders and birding, and wish you all the best.

Wayne Hoffman

Join us on Facebook!