Date: 11/21/18 2:27 pm
From: James Billstine <billstinj...>
Subject: [obol] Yellow-Billed Loon No + Location Notes
Hi All,

I looked for a little over an hour this afternoon without finding the
Yellow-Billed Loon and left- no raingear. Ed McVicker was looking all
morning and had no luck as well.

For anyone looking for the Yellow-Billed Loon today or the next few days
here are a few pointers:

The best spot to scope from nearest the mouth of the jetty is Manhattan
Beach. The access point is located at: 45.653031, -123.939207

I started scoping at the Jetty Fishery, which is the marina closest to the
Jetty mouth and was very politely asked to leave. The man was kind but
informed me it was private property and that being there was a liability
issue. He said I could stay if I paid the $15 parking fee.

I then went to Kelly's Marina, just north of the Jetty Fishery, and was
given permission to look. Buying things as a thank you when looking for
birds at a private location like this is good etiquette.

I then scoped from a wide pullout north of Kelly's on the west side of 101.
The railroad here is almost never used and lots of people park and clam
from this location.

Wheeler has a wildlife viewing area that gives some view of the upper bay.

Nehalem Bay State Park gives access to views of the rest of the lower and
part of the upper bay. There are state park fees here.

The end of Bayside Gardens Road also gives some views of the upper bay.
Tidelands Road has river views at the county boat ramp.

Hopefully this helps if anyone is planning on looking this weekend.

Good Birding and Happy Thanksgiving

James Billstine

Join us on Facebook!