Date: 11/21/18 6:25 am
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Yellow-billed Loon pictures - Nehalem River estuary, Tillamook
Hi-
I have to disagree with Alan (always risky).
I suspect that most of the Pacific population of Yellow-billed Loons winter to the north of us, but out on the continental shelf.   The first ones I ever saw were several miles off the sw end of Kodiak in early Nov. 1975.
10+ years ago, while Greg Gillson was still here, we found one a few miles off Yaquina Head near the end of a spring pelagic trip.I think it was early May.  Greg or Tim  can probably come up with the date.  Anyway, my photos of it showed heavy wing molt and I think it was flightless.
We find birds where we look, not necessarily where they are most common.
Wayne  -  traveling thru east Texas.

-------- Original message --------From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...> Date: 11/20/18 5:20 PM (GMT-06:00) To: <mapsout...> Cc: OBOL <obol...> Subject: [obol] Re: Yellow-billed Loon pictures - Nehalem River estuary, Tillamook
Great find.  As Dave mentioned, we have not had many in recent years.  They tend to prefer shallow estuaries, not ocean or really deep water, so with luck this one will stay around, as Nehalem Bay is the right sort of place.

Alan <Contrerasacontrer56...>, Oregon
www.alanlcontreras.com

On Nov 20, 2018, at 3:16 PM, Beverly Hallberg <mapsout...> wrote:
Hi all,
I've uploaded a few of many pictures of this loon with the pale yellow bill to my Flickr account with links below.
Again, it was seen at the end of the small rock jetty from the parking lot of Kelly's Brighton Marina on Hwy. 101 - very near to the rocks.  Barely 50-75 feet away from me!  As soon as I saw it I knew it was different from a Common Loon.  I was able to see a breeding YB Loon in Nome this summer so this is my second this year!!
Big storms are coming tomorrow and the next few days, so I don't know how long it will stick around or where it might relocate to within the river/bay or elsewhere.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/threezees/3ur1o3
https://www.flickr.com/gp/threezees/1408S2
https://www.flickr.com/gp/threezees/7Y5492
https://www.flickr.com/gp/threezees/w2dnSi