Date: 11/20/18 4:43 pm
From: Rick Bowes <rbowes...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] 11/19 Duxbury Beach - Barred Owl, Common Merganser, et al
Mon. 11/19/2018: 8:34-1:00pm; Tide high at 8:01am (9.8ft); Cloudy; 46F;
wind N 5-10.
Ebird list with photos at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50089045

A cloudy day produced 2 new birds for me in my Duxbury Beach "patch": a
photogenic Barred Owl and an uncommon Common Merganser.

Thanks to Damon Haan (visiting birder from the Midwest) and his two
companions whom I met at the 3rd xover, I was able to locate one of the 2
Barred Owls they had seen a few minutes earlier. I'd never seen one out
there, and was dumbfounded whe he said they had two individuals in different
locations!. One was in the tall cedars at Plum Hills, and the other in a
stand of cedars on the Gurnet. I was able to see and photograph the Gurnet
bird - 6 pix at http://www.pbase.com/rickbowes/2018_barred_owl (click
"next" in the upper right corner to advance through them.

While scanning off the east side of Gurnet point I found my first Common
Merganser for the Beach. While they are uncommon but regular during
migration on the mainland they are a very uncommon sight at the beach both
on the bay and ocean sides. Red-breasted Mergs are regular in the winter
with greater numbers during the migrations; so seeing the Common among them
was an exciting surprise. (photo in ebird list).

Rick Bowes, Duxbury, MA

<mailto:<rbowes...> <rbowes...>

Duxbury Beach info at: http://www.duxburybeach.com/general-info/