Date: 11/20/18 4:29 pm
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Juncos of the Slate Colored/White winged types? WITH photos I hope!
I agree with Tom Crabtree. These birds look like Slate-colored to me. All forms of Dark-eyed Junco can show modest pale fringes on the coverts that suggest weak wing bars. On “White-winged” Junco the wing bars are more conspicuous.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 20, 2018, at 3:03 PM, Steve Jaggers <sjjag...><mailto:<sjjag...>> wrote:

I recognize the variability and challenge of identifying the sub species of Juncos. These two got my attention recently. The second bird is interestingly lighter than the first and I am puzzled as to the comments Obol folks might make regarding them.

The first was seen at Oaks Bottom a week or so ago, was in a ebird checklist, believed to be a female Slate Colored. The second appeared in my yard (Milwaukie/Gladstone) this morning. My research leans towards young White Winged barely showing the "faint white wing bars" described in some guides.

Steve Jaggers

<P1020755(2).JPG>
<1020798(3).JPG>

Join us on Facebook!