Date: 11/20/18 3:58 pm
From: Tom Crabtree <tc...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Juncos of the Slate Colored/White winged types? WITH photos I hope!
Steve,

The first looks like a typical Slate-colored to me. The second easily could be. It’s hard to tell if the lighter color is actual or an effect of the overexposure. One of the features of the White-winged Junco is that it has an extra white tail feather on each side, so there are three on each side instead of two in other forms. This is obvious in the field. They are also a little larger than Slate-coloreds and Oregon Juncos. I have never seen a “White-winged” Junco with as minimal wingbars as the ones in the second photo. More typically they look like this:

Image result for dark-eyed junco

Here’s a number of other white-wings along with others since Google can’t seem to totally separate the juncos:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1 <https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&tbm=isch&q=dark-eyed+junco&chips=q:dark+eyed+junco,g_1:white+winged:aDetQiyQlLo%3D&usg=AI4_-kSxiwSOZREv51QItVLg7eEppt_4IA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjz1ICSleTeAhWmIjQIHbiZBiwQ4lYINCgA&biw=2176&bih=1073&dpr=1.76> &tbm=isch&q=dark-eyed+junco&chips=q:dark+eyed+junco,g_1:white+winged:aDetQiyQlLo%3D&usg=AI4_-kSxiwSOZREv51QItVLg7eEppt_4IA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjz1ICSleTeAhWmIjQIHbiZBiwQ4lYINCgA&biw=2176&bih=1073&dpr=1.76