Date: 11/20/18 2:43 pm
From: Carl Bendorf <carlbendorf...>
Subject: [cobirds] Vermilion Flycatcher Map
Someone asked me for some info on finding the Boulder County Walden Ponds
Vermilion Flycatcher so I thought I would share the same here:

Assuming you can get to Walden Ponds (you can see 75th St running along the
right hand edge of the attached photo), my understanding is that most
birders have seen the bird somewhere within the red shape on the map. This
morning, I saw it moving around within the smaller green shape on the map
as it perched on the fence posts, fence wires, and sallied out to the
ground for an insect. This was my third try for the bird. At one point, it
was chased by a kestrel but I've seen kestrels there every time so it is
co-existing so far. Many of the reports have been from around the buildings
and various fenced areas on the south side of the entrance road and on the
east end of the red area on the map. There is a parking lot at the east end
and also the west end of the red area; I suggest parking at one or the
other and birding along the public road area between the two parking lots
and scanning all the fence lines, posts, and other perches. Some have seen
it in the various willows that seem to line the ponds along the roadway.
The large field area is private so all viewing must be from the Walden
Ponds public entrance road.

Carl Bendorf
Longmont

[image: vermilion.jpg]