Date: 11/19/18 8:56 pm
From: Bennet Porter <bennet.porter...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Massachusetts Nemesis Birds
Until today I would have had Harlequin Duck and Evening Grosbeak on the
list, but fortune smiled upon me and I was finally able to tick both of
those off the ol' list.

Remaining MA nemesis birds (I have a definition of either heard-only birds
or birds seen regularly at a location that I miss seeing but are then
subsequently reported from the same spot) are Ruffed Grouse, Dickcissel,
American Bittern...the list will always provide something or other.

Thanks for the question, very interesting!

Bennet Porter
East Falmouth

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 3:57 PM Frank Lehman <fmlehman...> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> On this dreary day when few of us are likely to go outside looking for
> birds, I thought I'd pose a fun little question to the community. What, if
> any, Massachusetts bird has eluded you in your time as a birder? Do you
> have a nemesis species which you always seem to miss, no matter how hard
> you try? It doesn't have to be a rarity -- just some bird which, year after
> year, slips your notice (either visually or audibly), despite it occuring
> regularly in the state.
>
> I'll share my own, somewhat embarrassing MA nemesis: Pileated Woodpecker.
> I've been birding this state for almost 10 years and have yet to see one!
> I've seen plenty in other states -- Maine, Connecticut, New Hampshire, but
> for whatever reason the old Stump Breaker has never shown him/herself to
> me. I imagine this will change soon, as I'm relocating to a more heavily
> forested part of the state. But it's still kind of hard to believe I've
> seen so many bizarre vagrants and rarities in the state -- Pink-Footed
> Goose, Slaty-Backed Gull, heck, even a Black-Backed Woodpecker, but never
> this one. It'll be special when I do, I'm sure. And after I finally see it,
> I can concentrate on my nemesis-runner up, the Ruffed Grouse...
>
> Stay warm and dry, all!
> Frank
>

> --
> Frank Lehman,
> Assistant Professor of Music, Tufts University
> Author, *Hollywood Harmony: Musical Wonder and the Sound of Cinema
> <https://global.oup.com/academic/product/hollywood-harmony-9780190606404?lang=en&cc=us#>* (OUP,
> 2018)
> tufts.academia.edu/FrankLehman

Join us on Facebook!