Date: 11/19/18 4:40 pm
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Reported posable Gray Hawk near Newport
Jeff,

Are there any details from the observer with regard to the age of the bird, time of day, or the circumstances of the observation? I assume this was a drive-by observation?

As a general rule, Gray Hawks are fairly secretive and rarely perch out in plain view in my experience. They are also quite vocal. If this was indeed a Gray Hawk and still in the area, it might respond to playback. I don’t normally advocate use of playback, but in this case we aren’t talking about a territorial/breeding bird.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 19, 2018, at 1:54 PM, Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...><mailto:<jeffgilligan10...>> wrote:

A birder who prefers not to e identified, sent me a report of what he believes was a very possibly a Gray Hawk. The location was reported as follows:

The bird was perched on a power line on the south side of US Hwy 20 about two miles east of Newport. I don't have the exact mile post marker, but the location was about 1/8 to 1/4 mile east of the intersection of Hwy 20 and Fruitvale Road, along the flat stretch of road at the bottom of the first hill east of Newport. I suppose it could still be in that area, but I don't know.

Join us on Facebook!