Date: 11/18/18 2:28 pm
From: Malcolm Gold <malcolmgold...>
Subject: BAS Field-Trip Report
A group of 20 people spent much of the day together with another 5 joining
us for shorter portions of the Burroughs Audubon Society (BAS) field trip
to Miami County and Linn County Kansas.

In Miami County we visited Hillsdale Lake, Miola Lake, and the Paola Water
Treatment Pond in search of waterfowl. 18 species of ducks and geese were
found at these three locations, but nothing unexpected was among them. We
found Brown Creeper, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Winter Wren, Sparrows, and a
large flock of Cedar Waxwings on dirt roads around Paola. We temporarily
lost a couple of cars, but that is bound to happen when my phone dies and
they are the last two vehicles of the caravan and spot a Loggerhead Shrike!
Fortunately

In Linn County we visited La Cygne Lake and scanned the refuge area at
Marais des Cygnes (MDC). 17 species of duck and geese were found in these
two locations, bringing the total waterfowl species up to 22. A Mallard x
American Black Duck hybrid at the MDC refuge was those most exciting among
them. Anyone in attendance may want to update their checklist as I forgot
it initially.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50009524

Joe Alburty spotted a handful of Rusty Blackbirds at MDC and Mark Land
spotted a dark-morph Rough-Legged Hawk on Yancy Rd in Linn County on our
drive back. We had approximately 65 species in each county and just over 80
on the day. Send me a message if you didn’t get the eBird checklists.

BAS has field-trip the next three Saturdays and all are open to everyone
regardless of skill level, age, or where you live. Details for each are on
the following website.

http://burroughs.org/its-free/field-trips-programs/

Good Birding,

Malcolm Gold (Johnson County, Kansas)

BAS Field Trip Co-coordinator with Mike Stoakes

ABA Birding Code of Ethics
http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html

Join us on Facebook!