Date: 11/18/18 9:55 am
From: Susan Hedman <2winterwren...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Crane Beach, Nov 17, 2018
Crane Beach, Essex, Massachusetts, US Nov 17, 2018 9:00 AM - 11:50
AMProtocol: Traveling 6.0 mile(s)
Comments: I was the only birder in this hiking group, but people did
have interest in the birds and stopped to ask me about sitings. We traveled
through the dune trails out to the inner bay beach, continued around the
point and along the ocean side beach, back into the dunes and back to the
parking lot.
20 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 40
American Black Duck (Anas rubripes) 1
Common Eider (Somateria mollissima) 10
scoter sp. (Melanitta sp.) 300 Perhaps more, huge flocks of scoters on
the ocean side picked out white-winged and surf scoters
Long-tailed Duck (Clangula hyemalis) 10
Bufflehead (Bucephala albeola) 4
Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) 2
Sanderling (Calidris alba) 12
Dunlin (Calidris alpina) 44
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) X
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus) 5
Common Loon (Gavia immer) 1
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 1
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) 1
Snowy Owl (Bubo scandiacus) 1
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) 2
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 4
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 60
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 3
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 1
Snow Bunting (Plectrophenax nivalis) 60

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50024280

Susan Hedman, Gloucester
"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." Frank Lloyd Wright

Join us on Facebook!