Date: 11/18/18 9:43 am
Subject: Red-eyed vireo still around and "vireo" song cautionary note
It is late for Red-eyed Vireo - but stranger things have happened. Of the
vireos, Blue-headed is the most likely vireo to be around in late
fall/winter, that might cause confusion with Red-eyed (if not seen).
However, for heard only "vireos" this time of year and into the
winter, birders should be aware of the potential confusion of a vireo
song with that one song variation of Purple Finch. Purple finches will
do a shortened "song" of just a couple phrases. I have heard this a
couple of times this fall, and have witnessed local birders get
tripped up by it - thinking it was a Solitary Vireo (probably based on
time of year). I've also done a double-take and sought out the singer
to be sure of what I am hearing.
Aside from the simple, wooden "tik" or "tek" call note of Purple Finch
which is often heard as they fly over or perch in treetops, they will
also give a sort song phrase or two that sounds a bit like a part of a
vireo's song. It is like the tempo of a vireo - a slurred, two-parted
"cheer-up" or "see-me" or something like it. With the finch, it will
usually just give one or two of these phrases. Sometimes they will
give one of the slurred phrases, then a pause and then add a little
more to it. The quality of this song is a bit more like red-eyed
(lower pitched, and more burry) than Blue-headed Vireo.
Since this is a year with higher than usual numbers of Purple Finches
in the south, just something to be aware of. Check that "vireo" to
make sure it is actually a vireo.
Kevin MetcalfHuntersville, NC