Date: 11/18/18 9:21 am
From: Tim Spahr <tspahr44...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Red Crossbills & Evening Grosbeaks
Hi Birders,

As I am sure many of you have noted by now, not only are Evening Grosbeaks
on the move, so are Red Crossbills. Consider this my sorta-annual reminder
that recordings of both of these species are important in helping sort out
the distribution of the various flight call types. I am happy to listen to
any recordings of either species birders make, and keep in mind even poor
recordings are usually sufficient for typing.

Historically Type 3 Evening Grosbeaks are the only type present in
Massachusetts, but given the few recordings over the years we may find
other types now that more recordings are coming in. For anyone interested
in reading more, Matt Young, Andrew Spencer and I wrote an article for
eBird on these spectacular finches:

https://ebird.org/news/evening-grosbeak-call-types-of-north-america

This year's Red Crossbills look to be mostly Type 10, but the flock at
Moose Hill is swelling and getting more interesting--it now contains Type
1, 2, and 10.

Good luck out there! And I'm happy to listen to anyone's recordings to
help type either species.

good birding

Tim Spahr

Join us on Facebook!