Date: 11/18/18 7:25 am
From: Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...>
Subject: [obol] Hood River Tufted Duck Continues
Good morning all,

Yesterday morning, at around 7:30 am, Brodie Cass-Talbott, Ken Chamberlain,
and I saw the male TUFTED DUCK at The Hook, which is just east of the mouth
of the Hood River. It was mixed in with ~500 Lesser Scaups (with perhaps a
sprinkling of Greater Scaups mixed in). The conditions weren’t ideal when
we saw it, as there was a slight chop and the wind was making it difficult
to hold one’s scope steady. The raft was diving frequently as well, and was
not particularly close to the nearest viewing location. Patience and
persistence paid off however. When we saw the bird, it was on the edge of
the raft, and it’s tuft was slicked straight up for a few moments. It
stayed all the way on the outskirt of the raft while we viewed it, about 30
seconds, and then it disappeared once more, not to be relocated.

Hope this helps potential chasers, as I know this is a difficult bird to
locate.

Good Birding,
-Nick Mrvelj

Join us on Facebook!