Date: 11/18/18 7:30 am
From: Bill Bradford <billbradford1...>
Subject: [obol] Boardman & Hermiston raptor routes
BOARDMAN RAPTOR ROUTE
We ran the Boardman Raptor Route last week, covering 97.5 miles in 6.25
hours. Number were good -- it was the highest total number of raptors for
November since we started surveying 6 years ago -- but diversity was lower
than usual. Out of curiosity, we looked at this month's numbers compared to
the November counts in previous years.

Red-tailed Hawks: 81 (well over our November average of 55 in the previous
5 years)
American Kestrels: 42 (previous Nov avg is 37)
Northern Harriers: 11 (previous Nov avg is 7)
Bald Eagle adults: 3 (same as our Nov avg of 3)
Bald Eagle subadults: 0 (same as our Nov avg of 0)
Prairie Falcons: 3 (previous Nov avg is 1)
Merlins: 0 (we usually get at least 1; there was a Merlin at the Boardman
Marina but that's not on our route)
Accipiters: 0 (We usually get 1 or 2 Coopers and/or Sharpies)
Owls: 0

On a sad note, it looks like there's work being done on a Bombing Range
Road dirt bank that has been a reliable spot for finding Barn Owls in the
last few years. We saw no evidence of owls this month, and several of their
roosting/nesting cavities have been covered up.

HERMISTON WEST RAPTOR ROUTE
The Hermiston West route is relatively new to us and this year's results
look similar to last year's. We covered 43.5 miles in 4+ hours, totaling 51
raptors.

Red-tailed Hawks: 27
American Kestrels: 16
Northern Harriers: 2