Date: 11/18/18 2:51 am
Subject: Possible juvenile trumpeter swan
Yesterday, Sat, we thought we might have seen a juvenile trumpeter swan
from the photo blind at Pea Island NWR, Dare County, NC. The first thing
that we noticed was how much larger this swan was from the nearby tundra
adults and juveniles, both longer and bigger overall. The neck appeared
longer than the tundra juveniles as well. The overall color was a darker
grey than the tundra juveniles. It did not appear to be associating with
any adults. The most outstanding difference between this bird and the
tundra juveniles was the bill. The base of the bill was a thick black,
then pink, then a black tip. But the base was the most outstanding feature.
Compared to the tundra juveniles, who had very thin black llines (if any)
around the base of the bill. We returned to the blind to try to get a poor
photo with an iphone, but could not re-locate this individual. I hope
someone will see it and report.

Thousands of red heads and tundra swans out there yesterday...along with
avocets, marbled godwits, skimmers, to name a few.

Linda Ward
Skip Hancock
Coinjock, NC

Join us on Facebook!