Date: 11/17/18 5:41 pm
From: Steven Tucker via Groups.Io <talkingtrees80=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Barrow's x Common Goldeneye at Shoreline Lake, negative Chestnut-collared Longspur report
Birders -
Before going to Laguna Avenue, I made a few other stops.
I made two different visits to the Shoreline kite flying area this morning, hoping that I wasn't too late to the Chestnut-collared Longpsur party. Myself and several others did not find the bird, though many pipits are still present and several groups allowed themselves to be thoroughly checked for any hidden longspur. I believe it was last reported on Thursday.
At Shoreline Lake I found an adult male Barrow's x Common Goldeneye hybrid. The back pattern and head color look like Barrow's, but the white facial mark is intermediate in size and shape between Common and Barrow's, and the size of the bill and head shape were typical of Common. Cool bird and readily viewable near the northern shore.
A quick check of salt pond A1 turned up a sharp looking "storm wigeon", a Bonaparte's Gull and a smattering of Redheads.

Steve TuckerSan Jose