Date: 11/17/18 3:43 am
From: Karl Stecher Jr. <kstecher...>
Subject: [cobirds] Blackburnian warbler 11-16
There were seven or eight of us searching for the warbler yesterday
afternoon. I was there for about an hour and a quarter before someone else
relocated it. Of note for birders...this is only the second one I have seen
in Colorado. The first was with Harold Holt in the 1970s. But I heard them
(and saw) many times at summer camp in Connecticut, with the end of their
song going up and out of my hearing range. I was happy to see this one.
From the intersection of Nelson Road (east-west) and Airport, go south on
Airport. Staghorn is about a quarter block down on your left. Keep going.
In about another one block's distance the north and south lanes are
separated by a short center island, seemingly about 40 yards long. If you
are headed south you will see the island marked at its northernmost point
by a diamond shaped yellow sign. If you were standing at that sign, you
would be where I saw the bird...directly east across the northbound lanes
in a cluster of three trees, almost next to the road. The bird was first in
the largest center tree, then flew to the tree to its north. These trees
are a short distance north of the trail mentioned in previous posts.
Binoculars may be good for scanning...but the bird, which cannot walk out
on a pine needle for its aphid meal, flits up, grabs a bite, then sits on a
branch. It was very active...so I recommend just eye-scanning the trees
for flashes of movement.
Today promises snow and wind, but who knows how accurate that forecast
will be.
Good luck to everyone.

Karl Stecher
Aurora/Arapahoe