Date: 11/16/18 10:23 pm
From: Monacell, Peter L. <plmonacell...>
Subject: Red-throated Loon at Smithville Lake
I observed a juvenile Red-throated Loon at Smithville Lake this afternoon. It was swimming east of the dam and behind the visitorís center. At times it seemed to associate with a (significantly larger) Common Loon, and it even wove in and out of a raft of Common Mergansers that were comparable to it in size. The Red-throated Loon was still in the area when I left at dusk. Thanks to those who consulted with me on this bird today; Iím grateful to have the opportunity to get better at this thing I love to do so much. Photos and a little video here:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49986485

Good birding everyone,
Pete

Pete Monacell,
Jefferson City

ABA Birding Code of Ethics
http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html
ASM Spring Meeting: May 3-5, 2019 at Bunker Hill Retreat near Mountain View, MO