Date: 11/16/18 9:23 pm
From: Nolan Clements <nolanclements...>
Subject: [obol] Lincoln County Birds 11/16/18
Hi OBOLites,

After attending my 8 a.m. chemistry lecture at OSU, I jetted over to the
coast to meet up with Russ Morgan and Courtney Kelly Jett. We met at
Devil's Punchbowl (https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49986359), where Russ
and Courtney had already relocated the continuing ROCK SANDPIPER on the
north side of the point associating with about 40 Surfbirds and a dozen
Black Turnstones. Three Marbled Murrelets, one Cassin's Auklet, and one
Rhinoceros Auklet were present offshore, along with a smattering of
Harlequin Ducks, Red-necked Grebes, Common Murres, and other assorted ocean
birds.

We continued south to North Jetty (
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49986353) where we were graced by three
very cooperative SNOW BUNTINGS. Hatfield (
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49986350) had a large number of
California Gulls, with Westerns, Glaucous-winged, Mew, and Herring mixed,
as well as sizable flocks of Pintail and American Wigeon. We also had a
flyover PALM WARBLER near the parking lot.

Continuing south, we stopped at Ona Beach State Park to try our luck with
the Black-and-white and Magnolia Warblers. With a 10+ degree temperature
drop, in addition to thick fog, at Ona Beach (
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49986257), our efforts were not extensive
and unsuccessful, however, two birders who were leaving when we arrived
mentioned seeing the Magnolia 30 minutes before our arrival. In addition to
the regular species, a White-throated Sparrow was found foraging high in
the birch trees by the parking lot. With limited light left, we crossed the
highway and birded the Beaver Creek area (
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49986254). Highlights there included a
Black Phoebe and two Great Egrets.

Overall, a beautiful day on the coast! Thanks Russ and Courtney for the fun
time! They can add anything I forgot to mention.

Happy birding all,
Nolan Clements
Corvallis

Join us on Facebook!