Date: 11/16/18 12:55 pm
From: Frank Lehman <fmlehman...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Massachusetts Nemesis Birds
Dear list,

On this dreary day when few of us are likely to go outside looking for
birds, I thought I'd pose a fun little question to the community. What, if
any, Massachusetts bird has eluded you in your time as a birder? Do you
have a nemesis species which you always seem to miss, no matter how hard
you try? It doesn't have to be a rarity -- just some bird which, year after
year, slips your notice (either visually or audibly), despite it occuring
regularly in the state.

I'll share my own, somewhat embarrassing MA nemesis: Pileated Woodpecker.
I've been birding this state for almost 10 years and have yet to see one!
I've seen plenty in other states -- Maine, Connecticut, New Hampshire, but
for whatever reason the old Stump Breaker has never shown him/herself to
me. I imagine this will change soon, as I'm relocating to a more heavily
forested part of the state. But it's still kind of hard to believe I've
seen so many bizarre vagrants and rarities in the state -- Pink-Footed
Goose, Slaty-Backed Gull, heck, even a Black-Backed Woodpecker, but never
this one. It'll be special when I do, I'm sure. And after I finally see it,
I can concentrate on my nemesis-runner up, the Ruffed Grouse...

Stay warm and dry, all!
Frank

--
Frank Lehman,
Assistant Professor of Music, Tufts University

Join us on Facebook!