Date: 11/16/18 8:58 am
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Curry Snow Bunting--very weird bird
Very cool! I was once coming down from the Kalmiopsis in fall and was on a
forested road above 3,000’ when I saw a bird in the road. Turned out it was
a Lark Sparrow in habitat I would have never thought to see it in. It flew
down the road a few times as I drove slowly after it and ended up hanging
out on a large rock cutbank while I drove by!

Tim Rodenkirk

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 9:49 PM Jacob Mathison <jacobmathison1...>
wrote:

> From eBird alerts:
>
> Snow Bunting (Plectrophenax nivalis) (1)
> - Reported Nov 14, 2018 12:00 by Trevor Hook
> - 360-362 Junction, Curry, Oregon
> - Map:
> http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.3274666,-124.1796857&ll=42.3274666,-124.1796857
> - Checklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49953315
> - Media: 3 Photos
> - Comments: "Spotted on the road then flew 50 ft away. Observed it moving
> low through the burned trees and snags. Allowed a close approach. Yellow
> bill and the distinctive brown patch on head. Thought it was a Longspur at
> a distance until I got the binoculars on it."
>
> Besides this being a very odd place for one, the bird apparently was
> hanging out in the underbrush. Very odd behavior for a Snow Bunting! Nice
> find, Trevor, and great photos! Has anyone known Snow Buntings to behave
> like this?
>
> Good birding!
>
> Jacob Mathison
> jacobmathison1.wixsite.com/nature-photography
>
> <http://jacobmathison1.wixsite.com/nature-photography>
> "If you keep a green tree in your heart, perhaps a singing bird will
> come." ~Chinese Proverb

Join us on Facebook!