Date: 11/16/18 6:48 am
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Swampscott Barred Owl and Winter Wren, etc.
Thanks to Paul Peterson for the following.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>

*

Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 01:46:55 +0000 (UTC)
From: Paul Peterson<petersonpaul63...>
To: Massbird MASSBIRD<massbird...>,
Boston Birds<bostonbirds...>
Subject: Swampscott Barred Owl and Winter Wren, etc.

So glad that I didn't go straight from the bus stop to the Swampscott Beach Club to look for the Black-throated Gray Warbler, for a Sharp-shinned Hawk took the bird out. (unbeknownst to me at the time ) I wandered around an area of Swampscott I didn't know existed, but it had looked promising. It was:

Barred Owl 1                      gave itself away with a monosyllabic call; otherwise, I would not have found it
Hairy Woodpecker 2
Carolina Wren 1
Winter Wren 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet 1

P.S. I then had twenty minutes to look for the warbler before nightfall and my bus arrival, so it worked out well, because i simply would have been wasting my time if I had gotten to the warbler spot any earlier.

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston